Grrl on Grrl Year Two officially begins with episode 18 featuring solo artist Hailey Wojcik. Stop-motion animator and pop rock extraordinaire, Hailey is a talented artist and musician, dedicated to improving her crafts.
In this episode, we talk about Hailey’s workflow for booking tours, unwanted physical contact at shows (and other male micro-aggressions), how we can address and fix them, along with plans for her upcoming tour and new album currently being recorded.
Check out how to find Hailey online in the shownotes below.
Grrl on Grrl also has a new intro and outro song! Polish is a San Diego band that features previous guest Lori Sokolowski on bass and vocals. You can find more info at the bottom of this post.
- [2:00] Release of her latest solo EP Book of Beasts and recording an upcoming full-length
- [3:00] Booking tours and gauging turnout to shows
- How Hailey connects with bands to book with
- Facebook as a resource
- The Shondes – female-fronted queer band that Hailey toured with
- [7:45] Hailey Wojcik – Dog V. Man (Bandcamp)
- [10:40] Sexual/physical harassment at shows
- Safety issues when touring as a solo artist
- Deciding whether to say something or to to ignore harassment
- Microaggressions (Trigger Warning for content at the link; examples of “casual” racism, ableism, sexism, etc.), mansplaining
- [14:20] How do we fix the common problem of harassment at shows?
- “This conversation is a start.”
- More discussions, strategizing together
- [15:00] Hailey Wojcik – Cigarette
- [17:25] Speedy Ortiz/Sadie Dupuis’ harassment hotline: Attendees of their shows can text this hotline in case of harassment or unsafe situations (More info and a Q&A about it here)
- [18:15] “A neighborhood watch” in venues, holding people accountable, acknowledgment
- Seraphim Collective in Brooklyn, based on the work done by the Feminist Action Support Network in Chicago
- “Support liaisons are present at events to prevent harm, provide emotional care, respond to crisis, mediate conflict, and empower others to do the same. We enhance and encourage safer space by our presence and availability” (from the FASN site)
- [20:15] Hailey Wojcik – XO, Skeleton
- Stop motion and live action lyric video (YouTube)
Find Hailey online
Thank you so much to Hailey for taking the time to speak with me! We had a few scheduling hiccups, but finally sitting down with her was such a pleasure and totally worth the wait.
As always, thank you to Gary Hankins and Greg Guiliano (of Wait Think Fast Productions) for their continued support with the podcast. Without them, my podcast wouldn’t sound so good nor would it have proper hosting!