Grrl on Grrl is back with episode 8, featuring San Diego musician Lauren DeRose. We talk a lot about feminism, identity, and labels, along with the usual music topics about community and different goals for different musicians. Lauren also picked a few great songs for you to listen to, so I hope you enjoy!
Grrl on Grrl will be back on January 10, 2016.
What do you guys think about the size of this and the last episode? I’m trying to tighten up the editing of the interviews so they are more manageable, especially for those of you listening on your commute! Please let me know what you think!
Download here. [~38min, 46MB]
- [1:15] Lauren talks about herself and her solo project, LDR
- [4:20] Changing musical goals as she grows
- “You have to be selfish” if you want to get things done in music. Or say fuck it and do it for fun.
- [8:00] Changes in the San Diego music scene before and after. Lauren’s take? “The community has changed for the better.”
- [9:45] Sleeping Ghosts – Colors in Eyes
- [13:45] Being a “lesbian with a guitar” before being just a musician
- Not allowing others to take your ability to be yourself or create the music you want to
- [18:30] Gloomsday – Vacation
- [22:50] Women cutting down other women… don’t do it!
- Socialized femininity, self-esteem issues, and not being taken seriously for being pretty
- [24:20] Objectification of women in the media
- June bitches about Mother Earth Brewing’s advertising
- We bitch about gendered beer choices
- [26:04] “When you see injustices, it’s your duty to tell them what’s up.”
- Combating (white/male/etc) privilege, being viewed as “sensitive”
- [27:00] Short updates on previous guests: Bakkuda‘s recent show and Fun While You Wait‘s new website
- [28:00] June’s pet peeve: When people pick apart her ideas and privileges without picking apart their own privilege
- We’re all learning and none of us are perfect.
- [30:00] “What’s a good feminist?”
- Feminism busting down gender expectations for both men and women
- Under-diagnosis of depression and mental illness in men
- [32:25] MC Flow – Incredible
- Keep an eye out for her upcoming Hannukah song release!
Other Notes & Thanks!
Thank you to all the artists who gave me permission to play their songs and to Lauren for taking the time to speak with me.
Special thanks to: Sullen Ray who graciously allows me to use their song “Get Up Got It” as the Grrl on Grrl podcast intro and outro–listen to and buy their album Blue Minor on Bandcamp; Greg Guiliano for his financial support; and Gary Hankins for making the episode sound good.
And to all my friends who have been so supportive of this project, I love you!