Alex Capella of Bakkuda joins me for Grrl on Grrl’s fourth episode! Bakkuda is a solo synth project, self-produced right from her bedroom.
We talk about how her music is a full-time job, taking music classes (both good and bad), and the trendiness of vinyl and cassette.
You can check out the Bakkuda website for links to all her social media, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Personally, I follow her Twitter and Instagram, both of which are a mix of personal and project news. I highly recommend following her!
I hope you enjoy, and thanks for listening!
Download Grrl on Grrl episode four [~52MB 54 mins]
- [2:00] The meaning behind the name Bakkuda
- [4:00] The timeline between her EP releases and the balance of making music and promoting it
- [7:00] Bakkuda – Skills
- [15:50] Music as a full-time job
- [18:00] Is there a physical release coming soon? And “boring” music business stuff.
- Is vinyl and cassette just a trend?
- [20:00] Netta – Momma Knows Best
- Video on YouTube
- Soundcloud vs. Bandcamp
- [27:30] Learning music production
- Dealing with bad teachers
- [34:30] I go into a tangent about San Diego band Fistfights with Wolves
- [35:30] Purity Ring – Sea Castle
- [40:00] Seeing more women musicians self-producing/doing-it-themselves
- [42:00] Musical inspiration: Lorde, FKA Twigs, Kanye West
- [45:00] Holiday Mountain – My Body
- Body positive message
- Energetic live show and great stage presence
Other Notes & Thanks!
Thank you to all the artists who gave me permission to play their songs and to Alex for agreeing to be uncomfortable in a stool and hot bedroom.
Special thanks to: Sullen Ray who graciously allows me to use their song “Get Up Got It” as the Grrl on Grrl podcast intro and outro–listen to and buy their album Blue Minor on Bandcamp; Greg Guiliano for his financial support; and Gary Hankins for filling in for Lety Beers–who is going on a European tour with her band The Little Richards–and doing a way more awesome job than I could have done.
And to all my friends who have been so supportive of this project, I love you!