About the Episode
Devon Moore sings and plays ukulele for Fun While You Wait, a three-piece out of New Jersey. In our premiere episode, we nerd out about ukuleles, gush excessively about Devon’s song picks, and discuss earthquakes and the New Jersey music community.
Download the podcast [~46MB, 50 minutes]
- [1:00] The short history of Fun While You Wait (“I didn’t realize you guys had only been around for a year!”)
- [6:30] /r/ukulele and realizing I’ve seen Devon’s videos before
- [9:30] Fun While You Wait – “Mountain Song” (Bandcamp)
- [13:30] Songwriting process and collaboration
- [17:15] Ukulele propaganda: We talk about how we started playing the ukulele
- [20:00] Supportive New Jersey music scene (including basement shows!) and why Devon chose local musicians for her song picks
- [25:45] Centennials – “Oh My Molly” (Bandcamp)
- Comments on the Centennials song was about the demo, not the re-mastered version played in the podcast.
- Stay tuned for the official release of their re-mastered songs!
- Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a video of acoustic Centennials set! But here, you can watch Devon covering Streetlight Manifesto instead.
- [33:45] Ukulele propaganda part 2: Coming from a musical family and picking up the ukulele (so easy! so accessible!)
- [37:45] Just a little bit of gushing about Cachabacha
- [39:30] Cachabacha – “Pulmoncito” (Bandcamp)
- [45:10] Digressing into whether I should cuss on the podcast or not and how difficult it is to keep a clean mouth around kids
- [49:10] Side project: Relms
Other Notes & Thanks!
Thank you to all the artists who gave me permission to play their songs on Grrl on Grrl and to Greg of Wait Think Fast for helping get this podcast off the ground.
Special thanks to Sullen Ray who graciously allows me to use their song “Get Up Got It” as the Grrl on Grrl podcast intro and outro. Listen to and buy their album Blue Minor on Bandcamp.
And to all my friends who have been so supportive of this project, I love you!